Soul Event changed*****
Soul event has been to a conversation with kids and parents. See the conversation guide below.
Take an early evening to watch the movie “Soul” with your kids. It is on Disney+ and available on DVD at Redbox for under $2. See below for family discussion about the two themes “soul” and “the purpose of life”. See the link for an article digesting the movie from “pluggedin”: Review of “Soul”
While this discussion guide is intended for families, parts will be helpful for kids to answer and other parts for adults to answer while kids listen.
If you watch the movie late at night, perhaps a family discussion of the movie the next morning would be helpful. Please email email@example.com for Redbox coupon to watch the movie!
Soul – what is a soul?
- The movie shows people as “souls” apart from their bodies. The truth is, we are more than just a body. There is a spiritual part of us that we cannot see, feel, hear or experience with our senses.
- Illustration – Turn on a lamp in a dark room. Stand in front of the lamp. Look at your shadow on the wall or floor.
- Move around. What happens to your shadow as you move?
- Turn out the light. Where did your shadow go with the light off? Its gone. Did your body disappear when the light turned off? Why?
- God created us with bodies and souls. If the light of our body is turned out, does our soul continue? Or do we still have a soul when our bodies die?
- It is easy to know that we have a body, because we can see it. Just like you knew you had a shadow when you could see it. Our soul is invisible, but our soul is real and lasting. God’s Word says so in 2 Corinthians 5 :6-8
“So we are always of good courage. We know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord, for we walk by faith, not by sight. Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord.”
- Who created your soul?
Genesis 1:27-28 says
So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.
Psalm 139:13-14 says:
13 For you formed my inward parts;
you knitted me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.[a]
Wonderful are your works;
my soul knows it very well.
- Who does David say created his soul?
- How does David describe this work of God?
- In the movie “Soul” who gets credit for creating souls? (It’s vague, there are “caretakers” but no creator. We are left to assume it is part of the course of the larger universe that souls exist.)
- What does it mean for Christians that God created us?
15 “Men,why are you doing these things? We also are men, of like nature with you, and we bring you good news, that you should turn from these vain things to a living God, who made the heaven and the earth and the sea and all that is in them.
- We are accountable to God for our life. For believers, God graciously makes us a new creation in Christ.
Soul is a made-up movie. It’s not real. Though it is funny to think about a human soul existing in a cat, that never happens. And though the movie never told us what comes after this life, it appeared to affirm a near eastern mystical worldview. The sign guy transcends the world and experiences other realms, for example. Those are eastern religious thoughts, not a part of true Christianity.
A big question the movie brings to us is “how do I find my purpose?” The movie taught that life’s purpose is having a big impact on people through a seemingly ordinary life. While the Bible teaches us to love our neighbor as ourselves, we get deeper answers as followers of Christ than the movie gives us:
God’s purpose for your life:
James 1:12 says:
“Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.”
- James talks about pressures in this life being tests for our faith. What does James say is the goal of trusting God through this life?
- In the movie, no one knew what was beyond this life. Since we know God rewards our faith in Jesus, how will your life be different than Joe Gardner’s? How will your life be more meaningful? How will your life glorify God?
Jesus goes into more detail to tell us what we should do to live in the purpose God gave us.
Matthew 22: 36-39 says:
36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the great and first commandment. 39 And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
The New City asks the question: “How can we glorify God?” Answer: “By loving Him and obeying His commands and law.”
- In the movie Joe went through life and death to find “direction”. How does Jesus give our life direction with this simple word?
- Who knows more about life and death and you soul? Jesus or the movie? Why?
- Whose word will we commit our life and actions?
Thanks for participating in this discipleship opportunity! We hope you enjoyed this conversation. Please feel free to share this webpage with anyone you think might feed their soul.